Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Wendy's New 2.99 Value Meal???

How is it fiscally possible to ....

grow a chicken, Feed a chicken kill a chicken, cut up a chicken, bread said chicken, fry said chicken...

Grow wheat, cut wheat, mix wheat with yeast, water, oil and salt, rise dough, cook dough, pack dough.

Continue process for french fries and beverage

THEN

Ship all of these ingredients 250 or so miles from the manufacturing facility to your local Wendy's.

Pay for gas

Pay for utilities

Pay for employees, insurance, disability, healthcare coverage. etc etc etc etc

and still deliver it straight to your wonderful tray (covered in paper that needs to be paid for with artwork that needs to be designed) all for Two Dollars and Ninety-Nine Cents.

In the end, you have to ask yourself one question. At such a ridiculous price, how much quality really goes into the ingredients you are eating. The answer is little to none. The thing that perplexes me is that we all go blindingly forward thinking it's okay to eat food that is poor quality simply because it is cheap and accessible. Now I'm not saying I eat tofu and boiled sardines and I won't eat a cheeseburger. What I am saying is when I eat a cheeseburger I would like it to be made of pieces of steer and the ingredients in my french fries should be potatoes and salt, not mono sodium glutamate, sodium nitrate and the like. Is that too much to ask of our food?

After all, Wendy's wouldn't create the $2.99 value meal if we, as consumers, didn't consume it.

Food, Inc. Said it best:

"You have to understand that we farmers, we're gonna deliver to the marketplace what the marketplace demands. If you want to buy $2 milk, you're gonna get a feedlot in the backyard. It's that simple. People have got to start demanding good, wholesome food of us. And we'll deliver. I promise you. We're very ingenious people. We'll deliver."

-Roush

but they sure do have some catchy jingles don't they.
Give me that filet-o'-fish, Give me that fish!

No comments:

Post a Comment